Entirely plant-based, Icelandic chef Solla Eiríksdóttir’s vegan burgers with root vegetable fries make a delectably filling feast
For the burgers:
• 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, for cooking
• 1 lb 2 oz (500 g) mushrooms, thinly sliced
• 4 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
• 2 cups (11 oz/300 g) cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 sweet potato, baked and cut into cubes
• 3/4 cup (2 1/2 oz/70 g) almond flour
• 1/3 cup (1 3/4 oz/55 g) ground chia seeds
• 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon onion powder
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the root vegetable fries:
• 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 2 x 1/4 inch (5 x 1/2 cm) sticks
• 1 beet (beetroot), peeled and cut into sticks
• 1 carrot, peeled and cut into sticks
• 1 celery root (celeriac), peeled and cut into sticks
• 1 tablespoon coconut oil or vegetable oil
• 1 teaspoon paprika
• 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
• 6 slices Homemade Seed Bread
• 1/2 avocado, sliced
• 6 cherry tomatoes, sliced
• 1 quantity Smoky Coconut
• 1 quantity Spicy Cashew Mayo
• 1 handful mâche (corn salad), to sprinkle
1 Heat the oven to 375°F/190°C/Gas Mark 5 and line a baking sheet with parchment (baking) paper.
2 For the fries, massage all the vegetables with the oil, then place them on the prepared baking sheet, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons water, and bake in the hot oven for about 20 minutes. Keep warm.
3 Meanwhile, heat a saucepan over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and warm. Add the mushrooms and garlic, and cook for 5 minutes.
4 Put the mushrooms into a bowl with the remaining ingredients and knead together with your hands.
5 Divide the mixture into 6 portions and flatten them into patties with the palm of your hands. Put the patties on a plate and chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
6 To cook the burgers, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet (frying pan) over medium heat. Add the patties and cook for 3–4 minutes on each side, or until golden on both sides.
7 To finish, place the burgers on the slices of seed bread and top with spicy cashew mayo, avocado slices, tomato slices, and smoky coconut.
8 Sprinkle with the mâche (corn salad) and serve with the root vegetable fries on the side.
Recipe courtesy of Solla Eiríksdóttir, extracted from Raw © Phaidon