Why stand at the stove stirring a porridge pot when you can toss the ingredients in a roasting tray and go back to bed for 30 minutes while it cooks?
This is porridge as it should be: creamy and brimming with the flavour of apples, cinnamon and nuts
• unsalted butter, for greasing
• 200g rolled oats
• 2 tablespoons chia seeds
• 2 eating apples, peeled, cored and chopped into small cubes
• 70g raisins
• 70g macadamia nuts or blanched hazelnuts, roughly chopped
• 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
• 300ml milk
• 3 tablespoons runny honey
• light brown soft sugar, for sprinkling
To serve (optional):
• yoghurt or milk
• fresh fruit of choice
1 Preheat the oven to 160°C. Lightly butter a 30 x 20 x 5-cm roasting tray.
2 Stir the oats, chia seeds, apples, raisins, nuts, cinnamon and salt together in a large bowl. Stir in 350ml boiling water, the milk and honey. Pour the mixture into the prepared tray and bake for 30 minutes.
3 Remove the tray from the oven and stir the porridge thoroughly, adding a splash more water if needed to produce the desired thickness.
4 Sprinkle over the sugar and bake for a further 5 minutes. Serve hot with yoghurt or milk and some fresh fruit, if you like.
Recipe courtesy of Sue Quinn, extracted from Roasting Tray Magic