To achieve the sweetest results, use the ripest figs when in season, when they are naturally at their best and jammy.
Alternatively, use berries, peach or nectarine slices, or persimmon. Even without the bread, this is a wonderful concoction
• 2 thick slices country-style bread
• 125g ricotta or mascarpone
• 2 ripe figs or other soft fruit, washed and trimmed
• 50g shelled walnuts, roughly chopped
• mild runny honey, such as acacia, for drizzling
1 Toast the bread on both sides. Spread the cheese thickly on one side of each slice.
2 Now slice or squash the figs, if really ripe and jammy, on top, scatter over the walnuts and drizzle with a little honey.
Recipe courtesy of Katie & Giancarlo Caldesi, extracted from Tuscany