Easter Plait is a tender, slightly sweet, vanilla-scented bread that is perfect to serve during the Easter holiday
Ideal for an Easter treat, Duba Plains Camp shares the recipe for their signature gluten-free Easter Plait, bringing a taste of Africa to your home. And of course, there’s a special African twist on this recipe to fully transport you to the plains of Africa.
Gluten-Free Easter Plait with Rooibos Tea Syrup
- 4 cups gluten-free flour
- 250 gr sweet potatoes
- 90 gr coconut oil
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 10 gr instant yeast
- 20 ml berbere spice –substitute ground cardamom and nutmeg together
- 20 ml ginger powder
- 20 ml cinnamon
- 15 ml naartjie peel –substitute orange
- 1 cup lukewarm almond milk
- 450 ml vegetable oil for frying
- 150 gr coconut desiccated for coating
For the syrup:
- 2 ½ cups white sugar
- 1 ½ cup rooibos tea
- 50 gr potato flour
- 50 veg oil
- Peel sweet potatoes and boil in water, drain and mash until smooth and set aside. Beat eggs slightly and mix with coconut oil, sift flour, mixed spices, salt, add sugar and yeast. Add the egg mix to the mash potatoes and add the warm milk, add to the dry ingredients and knead for 10 mins.
- Leave the dough covered (it should rise and double in size) for about an hour. Once risen, twist into circles or in any desired shapes.
- Let it rise for another half an hour. In the meantime bring the oil to medium heat in a medium pot then fry the braided plait on medium heat until both sides are light brown.
- Drain on absorbent paper.
- Make the syrup by slowly boiling the rooibos tea and sugar together and dip the fried plait in the syrup.
- Set aside and dust it in the desiccated coconut.
Enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee!
Duba Plains Camp is located in the centre of the Okavango Delta among a matrix of palm-dotted islands, flood plains and woodland on a 33,000-hectare private reserve boasting incredible game viewing. The exclusive camp evokes classic African 1920’s style and accommodates up to 10 guests sharing tented rooms (children must be age 8 and up). Guests will enjoy their own plunge pool with verandah and shaded salah, indoor and outdoor showers and sweeping views of the surrounding floodplains and passing wildlife from the privacy of their own room. Nightly rates from $1,995 per night.