Celebrated Icelandic chef Solla Eiríksdóttir provides a fresh and modern take on typical tacos with this raw plant-based dish
• 2 large turnips, peeled and cut into thin slices
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the sour cashew “cream”
• 1 cup (5 oz/150 g) cashews
• 4 tablespoons lime juice
• 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
• 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
v1/4 teaspoon sea salt flakes
For the mashed avocado
• 2 avocados, peeled, pitted, and cut into cubes
• 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
• 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (coriander)
• 2 tablespoons lime juice
• 1 clove garlic, chopped
• 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
• a pinch of freshly ground black pepper
For the nut “meat”
• scant 1 cup (3 1/2 oz/100 g) walnuts
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
• 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
• 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
• 1 tablespoon tamari sauce
• cress, to sprinkle
• small bunch long chives, for tying each taco
1 For the sour cashew “cream,” put the cashew nuts into a bowl, pour in enough water to cover, and soak for 2 hours. Drain and discard the soaking water. Set aside.
2 Put the turnip slices into a bowl. Mix the lemon juice and olive oil together and pour over the turnip slices.
3 Turn the turnip slices until coated, then cover and let marinate for about 10 minutes.
4 Put the avocado into a bowl and mash with a fork. Add the onion, cilantro (coriander), lime juice, and garlic, season with the sea salt and black pepper, and mix to combine. Set aside.
5 For the sour cashew “cream,” put the soaked cashew nuts into a blender with the remaining ingredients, add 1/2 cup (4 fl oz/120 ml) water, and blend until smooth. If it’s too thick, add about 1 tablespoon water. Don’t add too much water, otherwise it will be too thin. Set aside.
6 Process all of the nut “meat” ingredients in a food processor by pressing the pulse button a few times until well combined but still chunky. Set aside.
7 To finish, take a marinated turnip slice and bend it so that it forms a “U” shape. Put a tablespoon of the nut “meat” on it as a base, then add about 2 tablespoons mashed avocados and the cashew cream on top.
8 Sprinkle with cress and tie it with a chive. Repeat with the remaining tacos.
Recipe courtesy of Solla Eiríksdóttir, extracted from Raw