Solla Eiríksdóttir’s raw root salad is a feast for the senses
• 11 oz (300 g) red cabbage, cut into thin strips
• 2 carrots, cut into thin round slices
• 1 zucchini (courgette), cut into thin round slices
• 1 yellow beet (beetroot), cut into thin round slices
• 1 striped or red beet (beetroot), cut into thin round slices
• 5 radishes, cut into thin slices
• 1 pear, cut in half, cored and cut into thin slices
• seeds of 1 pomegranate
• 1/3 cup (2 oz/50 g) pistachios
• 10 dried Incan golden berries
• 4 tablespoons green herbs, such as cilantro (coriander), mint, basil, and parsley, finely chopped
For the dressing
• scant 1/4 cup (1 3/4 fl oz/50 ml) walnut or olive oil
• 3 tablespoons lemon juice
• 3 tablespoons mandarin juice or orange juice
• 1 tablespoon rice vinegar (or your favorite vinegar)
• 1 teaspoon ras-el-hanout spice
• 1 teaspoon onion powder
• 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 To make the dressing, put all the ingredients into a clean jar, put the lid on, and shake together. Set aside.
2 Put all the prepared vegetables into a bowl, pour over the dressing, then using your fingers, massage the dressing into the vegetables.
3 Let marinate for 15–20 minutes.
4 When ready to eat, put the vegetables into a serving bowl, add the remaining ingredients, toss together, and enjoy.
Recipe courtesy of Solla Eiríksdóttir.
Extracted from Raw: Recipes for a Modern Vegetarian Lifestyle, published by Phaidon