This deliciously thick smoothie bowl is ideal for an energy-boosting breakfast or a healthier alternative to traditional tubs of ice cream
I don’t have a sweet tooth, I have an entire sweet mouth – if I could eat desserts all day long, I would. This smoothie bowl really satisfies my sugar cravings and is filling enough to satiate me for the entire morning. It’s all natural and all delicious, made with frozen bananas, plant-based milk, a big tablespoon of cacao powder and a little bit of maca powder for good measure.
I learnt long ago to ignore diet culture and not to be ‘afraid’ of eating too many bananas – as a high carbohydrate fruit, they are simply an excellent source of energy for my body! I love having something like this after an intense workout or after a run, when I feel like I could really do with something power-packed.
There is also so much fun to be had with toppings too – I’ve used raspberries and cacao nibs here, but the options are endless.
Benefits of nice cream:
- Bananas are absolutely packed with beneficial nutrients such as potassium which is good for your heart health – they contain antioxidant flavonoids which helps reduce the risk of heart disease and vitamin B6 which makes antibodies to help you fight infection, plus vitamin C to help improve your immune system.
- They’re also a healthy source of dietary fibre! Containing large amounts of resistant starch and pectin, both of these as a probiotic for your body which helps ferment bacteria, aiding the growth of beneficial gut bacteria, healthy intestines as cleansing the colon.
- Nice cream is also refined sugar-free, gluten-free, additive-free and a fully plant-based alternative to traditional ice cream. Don’t get me wrong, sometimes you just need a hefty dose of Ben & Jerry’s – but this makes a scrumptious alternative that is great for your insides too.
Benefits of cacao powder:
- Cacao powder is rammed with flavonoids. These are nutrients that have been proven to help lower blood pressure, improve blood flow to the brain and heart, and aid in preventing blood clots. Bingo. The flavonoids in cacao powder may also help increase insulin sensitivity, reducing your overall risk of diabetes and helping those with wobbly blood sugar.
Serves one hungry foodie
Simple Cacao Smoothie Bowl
- 3 frozen bananas (please freeze RIPE for at least 4hrs beforehand)
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp maca powder
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk
- Add all ingredients to a blender then mix until thick and creamy.
- Transfer to bowl, add desired toppings and serve immediately
Enjoy! Happy eating.