Inspired by the creme egg classic, try Sophie Ritchie’s lower sugar salted caramel brownies with a delicious chocolate Easter egg twist. Be warned – one is never enough!
Since taking dairy products out of my diet, there hasn’t been much I’ve missed. Oat milk makes a much better drink alternative, cakes are pretty flexible and even vegan cheese is finally getting there when it comes to a drippy, melting pizza slice. But there is definitely a hole missing in my heart around Easter time, and it is indeed creme egg shaped.
So, feeling inspired by the lack of traditional creme egg brownies in my life after seeing them all over the ‘gram, I had to find an alternative. Cue these healthier, lower sugar brownies made with all vegan ingredients and a secret, hidden twist in the form of chickpeas. Don’t be put off by the added legumes – you can’t taste them at all, and they bring a wonderful fudge-like texture to the brownie batter. Plus, who doesn’t like an added fibre fix.
I used high quality granulated stevia in my ingredients which I would strongly recommend if you want to keep the sugar content down, but normal sugar or coconut sugar would work just as well. Don’t omit the chocolate chips either – blend them along with the other ingredients for the perfect brownie result.
After baking, I left my brownies to cool then stored overnight to let the melted caramel set – it also makes cutting the finished brownie so much easier. These can last up to a week in the fridge or an airtight container, so slice up and devour whenever you feel like elevenses. When paired with a hot cup of coffee, you can’t go wrong!
How to make Vegan Chocolate Salted Caramel Egg Brownies:
Vegan Chocolate Salted Caramel Egg Brownies
- 1 Food Processor (essential)
- 1 tin chickpeas drained
- 1/3 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 1/2 cup granulated stevia
- 1 scoop plant-based chocolate protein powder (or 2 tbsp cocao powder)
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp date syrup
- 3 tbsp smooth peanut butter (natural)
- 3 tbsp soy milk (add more if too dry)
- 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- 2-3 eggs Prodigy Snacks Salted Caramel Chocolate Eggs
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees.
- Add all the ingredients to a large mixing bowl (other than the chocolate eggs) and combine.
- Stir together until mixed then transfer to a food processor and blend until a smooth dough is formed. (NOTE: this can take a lot of time because it's a really thicc mixture. Don't use a Nutribullet etc unless using really small amounts at a time).
- When the batter is ready to go, line a baking tin with baking paper/foil, spray cooking oil and add the mixture. Use the back of a spoon or fork to spread evenly + into corners.
- Unwrap chocolate eggs and place on a chopping board. Use a knife to carefully slice lengthways into two segments. Push the back of each 1/2 egg into the brownie mixture.
- Place in oven and bake for between 18-20 minutes.
- Leave to cool, then place in airtight container overnight.
- Slice, serve and devour.