Ideal for using up spare pumpkin after a Halloween carving session, Executive Chef Assistant Mosiuoa from Selinda Camp, Botswana shares the recipe for a spiced pumpkin, coconut & orange lassi with a baklava & an orange crisp
• 2 Cup Pumpkin, cubed
• 1tbsp Maple Syrup
• Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
• 2 Cup Coconut Milk
• 2 Cups Orange
• Orange, thinly sliced
• 1 Cup Pumpkin Seeds
• 1 Cup Sunflower Seeds
• ½ Avocado
• 1 Cup Sesame Seeds
• 1 Cup. Cardamom Pods
• 1 Cup Coconut Flakes, toasted
• 1 Cup. Cinnamon Sticks
• 500ml Honey
• 1 Cup Sugar White
• Lemon Juice
• ¼ Cup Castor Sugar
• 2 tots Vodka
• Phyllo Pastry, cut into 10*4cm Rectangles
• Mint Leaves and Dill for Garnish
For the Baklava:
1. Preheat Oven to 160°c
2. In a sauce pan, add the Water, Sugar and the whole spices and allow to simmer till reduced to half then remove from the heat and let cool
3. Prepare a work surface and place the Phillo pastry flat on the surface. using a pastry brush, spread the syrup on the Phillo pastry making sure its well covered then sprinkle some of the chopped seed over. Place a second Phillo layer over the seeded Phillo and repeat the same process. Continue with the rest till you have enough..
4. Bake until golden and crispy about 30 minutes
5. Remove From the oven and allow to cool before serving
For the Orange Crisp:
1. Prepare a tray with a non-stick Silicon mat
2. Place the sliced oranges flat on the prepared tray, then sprinkle with the Castor Sugar.
3. Transfer to an oven and bake at 80°c till light and crispy.
4. Remove from the oven and set aside for later
For the Lassi:
1. Preheat the oven to 160°c
2. Place the Pumpkin on a roasting tray, add the whole spice and the season and mix well then transfer to the oven and cook till soft about 25 minutes.
3. Remove from the oven and allow to completely cool then remove the whole spices.
4. In a blender add all the remaining ingredients and the Pumpkin and blend till smooth…if making the lassi into a cocktail add 1-2 tots of vodka
5. When done keep in the fridge until ready to serve. Serve with the prepared toppings and enjoy!
Resting on the banks of the Selinda Spillway as it enters the Linyanti River, the brand new Selinda Camp is situated on a private 130,000-hectare Selinda reserve.To find out more about Selinda Camp, visit greatplainsconservation.com/portfolio/selinda-camp