Comforting and packed full of healthy veg – add a slice of aged cheese for an even richer sandwich
• 11/2 tablespoons mayonnaise
• 1/2 tablespoon wholegrain or dijon mustard
• 1/2 ripe avocado, stone removed and flesh scooped out
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• sea salt
• freshly ground black pepper
• 4 slices sourdough rye bread
• 100g Roasted roots and veg
• 1 handful baby spinach or regular spinach
• 2 tablespoons Three wild fermented krauts, Golden Sauerkraut, (optional)
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 Preheat the waffle iron. Place the mayonnaise and mustard in a small bowl, mix until combined and set aside. Place the avocado flesh and lemon juice in a medium-sized bowl, season to taste with salt and pepper and mash with a fork until combined.
2 To assemble, spread the bottom slices of the bread with the mustard mayo and the top slices with the avocado mash. Arrange the roasted roots and spinach on top of the mustard mayo, followed by sauerkraut (if using).
3 Cover with the top slices, brush the outside of each slice with the oil and toast for a few minutes or until golden and crispy
4 Serve cut in half.
Recipe courtesy of David Frenkiel, extracted from Green Kitchen At Home