Kickstart your morning with this tofu-packed spicy breakfast burrito
To make the tofu scramble:
For the sauce:
• 35g plain flour
• 15g nutritional yeast
• 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
• 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
• 1/2 teaspoon black salt, (optional, but worth getting)
• 250ml soy milk
• 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
• 2 tablespoons butter
For the scramble:
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1/2 onion, finely chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 1/2 jalapeno, finely chopped, (seeds removed for a milder taste)
• 500g extra-firm tofu, drained and crumbled into biggish chunks
• small handful your favourite herb
To make the burrito:
• 1 large flour tortilla, (the bigger, the better)
• 2 tablespoons Chipotle cashew cheese
• 1/2 cup Brazilian black bean soup
• 1/2 cup Spicy ground chorizo
• 1/2 cup Garlic & chilli kale
• 1/2 cup The best tofu scramble
• lime wedges, to serve
• Fresh guacamole, as much as you like
• Coriander cashew cream, as much as you like
• Green apple & jalapeño hot sauce – any other hot sauce
To make the tofu scramble:
1 To make the sauce, combine the flour, yeast, spices and black salt (if using) in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat.
2 Slowly add the soy milk, whisking constantly until you have a smooth sauce. Add the mustard and butter and whisk until thick and creamy.
3 Reduce the heat to as low as possible and simmer, whisking often, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside while you make the scramble.
4 Heat the butter and oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.
5 Toss in the garlic and jalapeño and cook for about 30 seconds.
6 Add the drained, crumbled tofu and gently stir to coat in the onion mixture. Without stirring, fry the tofu until it browns slightly on one side. If you find that your tofu is letting out too much liquid and it’s starting to stew instead of fry, tilt the pan and remove the liquid with a spoon.
7 Add the reserved sauce and gently fold through the tofu. Be careful not to break up the tofu too much or you’ll end up with some kind of weird eggy tofu soup.
8 Finish with a scattering of your favourite herb and season to your liking.
To build the Smith & Daughters breakfast burrito:
1 Start by laying out your tortilla. Slap down as much chipotle cashew cheese as you can handle, then top with a big dollop of black beans.
2 Next, pile on the chorizo and garlic and chilli kale, then top with the tofu scramble.
Fold both ends over the filling, then roll tightly into a burrito.
3 If you have built the burrito using all warm ingredients then place your masterpiece straight into a dry frying pan over medium heat and toast on each side until lightly golden.
4 If your filling ingredients are cold, heat in the microwave for 1–2 minutes before toasting in the frying pan.