Bursting with heat, Martin Boetz’s grilled cuttlefish and pomelo salad is a citrusy explosion of fresh herbs and chili, complimented well by the caramelised sweetness of the cuttlefish
• 200g cuttlefish or squid, scored on the underside
• splash kecap manis
• 1 quantity Red chilli nahm jim
• Crisp-fried garlic or red Asian shallots, (use shallots variation), to garnish
For the salad:
• 1 pomelo, peeled and segmented
• 1 lemongrass stem, finely sliced, white part only
• 2 kaffir lime leaves, julienned
• 1 bunch coriander, leaves picked
• 1 bunch mint, leaves picked
• 1 long red chilli, seeded and julienned
• 1/4 cucumber, shaved into ribbons
• 1 red asian shallot, finely sliced
1 Heat a hotplate or a chargrill pan on medium–high. Toss the cuttlefish or squid in the kecap manis to coat. Place on the hotplate or chargrill pan, scored side down, and cook for about 3 minutes.
2 Transfer the cuttlefish to a mixing bowl. Add all the salad ingredients and half the red chilli nahm jim, and toss to mix well.
3 Place on a serving plate, drizzle over the remaining red chilli nahm jim and garnish with the crisp-fried shallots.
Recipe courtesy of Martin Boetz, extracted from New Thai Food.