This spicy butter bean dhal couldn’t be simpler to make. It’s simply a case of chopping up some veg and popping it into a pot
And listen, if you don’t have butter (lima) beans in your pantry, just swap them out for what you do have – chickpeas (garbanzo beans), white (haricot) beans and kidney beans all work just as well and taste great.
• 500ml vegetable stock
• 100g uncooked split red lentils
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
• 1 teaspoon paprika
• 1 teaspoon ground cumincur
• 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1 x 400g tin butter beans, drained and rinsed
• 2 large handfuls fresh spinach
• wholemeal naan breads, to serve
1 Place all the ingredients except the butter beans and spinach in a saucepan over a medium-high heat and bring to the boil.
2 Add the butter beans, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
3 Add the spinach and simmer for an additional 5 minutes, until the lentils are soft.
4 Serve with some yummy wholemeal naan breads and enjoy this super pot of healthy wholesomeness!
Recipe courtesy of Julie Montagu, extracted from Superfoods Superfast