Garlic prawns and chorizo are two favourite Spanish tapas snacks. We call this combination ‘surf-and-turf on a stick’ — it’s a match made in heaven!
• 20-25 small bamboo skewers
• 500g raw prawns, peeled and deveined, tails left on
• 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
• 1 red chilli, roughly chopped
• 1 lemongrass stalk, roughly chopped, white part only
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 chorizo sausages, cut into 1 cm thick slices
• a few lemon wedges
1 Soak the bamboo skewers in water for 10 minutes. Combine the prawns, garlic, chilli, lemongrass and olive oil in a bowl, then cover and place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
2 Wrap a prawn around a slice of chorizo, then insert a skewer through the prawn and chorizo to secure them together. Repeat with the rest of the prawns.
3 Preheat a barbecue hotplate or frying pan and cook the prawns for 1 minute on both sides, or until the prawns are cooked. Squeeze over some lemon juice before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Billy Law, extracted from Have You Eaten