A good ripe avocado is as rich and voluptuous as a thick smearing of butter but a lot better for you.
Here, that creamy texture is tweaked with cumin and tahini and imbued with a magical crunch by the cheeky sprinkling of toasted chickpeas
• 210g tin chickpeas, rinsed and drained
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
• Few pinches allspice
• 2 tablespoons tahini
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 4 slices seeded or rye bread
• 2 ripe avocados, peeled, stone removed, and sliced
• 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
• handful sprouted chia, radish or alfalfa
• few sprigs dill, roughly chopped
• freshly ground black pepper
1 Preheat the oven to 180°C fan. Use a clean tea towel to dry the chickpeas really well. Tip onto a lipped baking tray and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and drizzle with ½ tbsp of the oil. Scatter over the spices, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Return to the oven for 10 minutes, or until golden and crispy, giving them a shake halfway through.
2 Meanwhile, make the tahini dressing. In a bowl, combine the tahini, lemon juice, remaining oil, a little salt and 2 –3 tbsp cold water, to make a fluid but not too runny dressing.
3 Toast the slices of bread. Spread a spoonful of the dressing over each slice of toast. Top with the avocado slices, a little red onion, the sprouts and toasted chickpeas. Drizzle over the remaining dressing and scatter over the dill.
Recipe extracted from Posh Toast, published by Quadrille Publishing. See here for more.